Sunday, January 4, 2009

Just call me Martha Stewart

I was very much in the holiday spirit this year...more so than I've ever been. My upstairs neighbors left on Saturday, December 20th...so, of course not only did I blast my music...but, I blasted some serious Christmas music.  As I was wrapping Christmas presents Sunday morning, listening to my blasting Christmas music...I became filled with the cooking spirit...I had this huge desire to bake. So, I went out to the store...picked up a few ingredients and I baked throughout the whole Christmas/New Year holidays.  Here are a few treats and baking stories.  

First, I decided to make a Pumpkin Pie (seen above)...that is a Pumpkin Pie from scratch.  I don't really like crust and neither do my parents...so I wanted to make a crust that was not very crusty.  I made my crust and spread it out in my pie dish; however, as I started making the pumpkin pie filling I noticed my can of organic pumpkin was actually Organic Pumpkin Pie mix. I really didn't want to use a Pumpkin Pie Mix; however, is was like 12 degrees outside and I didn't want to go out to get more pumpkin...so, I decided to use it.  Well, just as I was about to open the can I noticed that the crust recipe specifically stated: "DO NOT USE A PUMPKIN PIE MIX with this CRUST RECIPE." I thought to myself, "Damn-it!," but remembered I had a can of straight pumpkin in my pantry.  So, I pulled out the can of pumpkin and noticed the date on the bottom of the can said, "August 2006."  Oops!! I've had that can for awhile...so, I went ahead and opened the can to see the damage...but, the pumpkin smelled fine...no discoloration, no foul odor, etc.  

I contemplated for a moment...thinking about all the possibilities of using this pumpkin versus not using this pumpkin.  My solution...call my Betty Crocker grandmother...when it comes to baking she knows the answers to everything. After a lengthy discussion, my grandmother's parting words were, "Oh, use it...it's probably fine, since it looks and smells good and the can wasn't swollen or punctured. It will be our little secret...you just make sure you taste the first piece."  So, I used the pumpkin and whipped up my pie filling and baked this bad mamma-jamma.  I took the pie to my parent's house and served it at a little dinner party they were hosting.  I, of course, had the first bite and it was scrumptious!!!  I must say...I out did myself on that pie.  Later during the King Christmas extravaganza I made two more Pumpkin Pies--they were also damn good.  


These are my homemade chocolate chip cookies (made organically and with Cayenne pepper)...I gave these out to several friends, colleagues and brought the rest home to my parents house. The most interesting part of these cookies, after I mixed up the dough...the chocolate chips began melting into little heart shapes (see above in batter). I think this was a sign that these cookies were truly made with a little love.  



Finally, to wrap up my cooking marathon, on New Year's Day, I had friends over on and off throughout the day for New Year's scones with Lemon Curd (both seen above).  I made two types of scones: 1. Cinnamon Chocolate Chip and 2. Cinnamon Blueberry.  I would like to extend a loverly thanks to Jess and Lovie who were great kitchen sidekicks and so helpful during the making of these scones. The dough proved much more difficult than anticipated--my other scone recipes are very simple...this one (a new one) was quite complicated...although worth every bite.  The lemon curd was made from fresh lemons...and let me just state for the record that it takes a lot of lemons to get 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice and that I am a HUGE fan of lemon curd.  With that said, Lovie, Jess and myself made the best dang lemon curd that I have ever tasted.  

So, I'm still on my cooking kick...if any of you have recipes that you really enjoy (no meat please) especially recipes involving Tempeh, Seitan, or Tofu (I'm getting tired of my recipes) please pass them along.  Jamie Mesar if you're reading...those pumpkin cookies/puffs would be a great recipe to pass along...just a thought :-)





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We didn't get no stinkin scones...you wench...but the cookies and pie were delicious..you out did grandma!

Megs said...

Thanks mom for nice words about my cooking...next time you'll get some scones and lemon curd...next time :-) Oh...tell Max the Cat thanks for posting...he is a tricky cat.