Sunday, December 14, 2008

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!!


Another Mountaineer football season has come and gone---I was present and cheering on those Mountaineers for every bit of this rocky season. Unfortunately, my parents have abandoned their Mountaineer Football season tickets (my dad's still staying strong with his season Mountaineer Basketball tickets); however, fortunately for me, my parents have been wonderful to help me out with acquiring my own set of WVU football season tickets. The best part of my tickets...not only do I get to tailgate with all my Mo'town friends, but I also get to tailgate and sit with my family (Jeff, Mary, Mike, Cathy and sometimes/never Beth) and a couple of our family friends.

I should have known this year was going to be harsh when the season started off with pukey-mic-puker sitting right in front of us at the first game. Ugh...I do not like puke or pukers! I seriously wanted to punch this kid in the face...actually, I wanted to punch the people who brought this kid to the game in the face. I mean who brings someone THAT wasted, who is not sitting in the student section, into the stadium. To make matters worse, this ridiculous nelly was not even a WVU fan!! He was visiting from somewhere in Maryland and was at WVU celebrating his 21st birthday with a friend and his friend's family.  Big thanks to the WV State Police...who hauled this kid's drunken, douche-bag ass right out of the stadium at the start of the 3rd quarter. Although I must say...the look on my Aunt Cathy's face when this kid threw-up was PRICELESS!!!

As the season went on...in true WVU Football fashion...we were always on the edge of our seats. For as long as I can remember, I have NEVER gone into or watched a WVU football game and thought, "This is a win." Sorry WVU...I'll support you from now until forever, but I've learned to never believe it's a win until the Mountaineer fires that last shot.  

WVU had several great wins and should be commended for the year considering the very dramatic change in staff and coach.  However, WVU also had two very frustrating loses. One of which was to Cincinnati...the amount of excitement and hope in the last 1:57 of this game when WVU came back from a 7-20 deficit...only to lose the game in overtime was somewhat of a let-down. Although this game did have one very funny moment. After the game, as fans exited the stadium I noticed the Cincinnati student fans were still sitting in their seats. Then I heard their leader get up and yell, "Okay, we are now going to try to exit the stadium.  It's important for you to buddy-up...we all need to make it back to our buses.  Here are the rules: walk with your buddy QUICKLY to the buses and if a WVU fan approaches you do not make eye contact...keep walking.  If they begin taunting you...you just say, 'We got lucky'...do not get in an argument...this is not the crowd you want to provoke."  Wow!  What a reputation we have...I've never known WVU fans to fight the opposing team fans...maybe we might seriously celebrate a win, but never fight the opposing team?  Dang Cincinnati...no worries...we set couches on fire...not people!  

Of course, the 2nd miserable loss was to "Under the Arm Pitt!"  Now, I know that I am a Pitt alumni and I should support Pitt, but because my blood tends to bleed blue and gold and the fact that my family would torture me by hanging me up by my toenails--I always support WVU 500% regardless of the team they're playing.  Therefore, when WVU loses to Pitt and I have to go back to work the following Monday or even the day of the game when my phone is blowing up thanks to all the Pitt fans calling to heckle me, it's a brutal loss.  Next year Pitt...we will get you Panthers...you just wait...then we'll see who gets heckled....yeah...take that!!!

The scheduled season is over; however, I'm not retiring my WVU face tattoos or WVU gear just yet.  We have the December 27th Meineke Bowl coming up against UNC....hopefully, WVU can break this "always on edge" streak and pound out a sure thing win.  I'm sure I'll have lots to say after that game, but for now...Let's Go Mountaineers!!!!!

Here is the Mountaineer pre-game show that helps get us all pumped up!!!  It's one of a kind and brought to you by The West Virginia Marching Band: 1. Boogie Cadence, 2, Flying WV and WVU Fight Song, 3. Simple Gifts from Appalachian Suite, 4. WVU Alma Mater, 5. Country Roads, 6. Hail West Virginia (note these videos are from a couple angles but show almost the entire opening show)...ENJOY!!! 


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Mounties....they do make you stand up and shout..."Under the arm-PITT!"

TR Amrine said...

Hmmm...I'm wondering which UNC sweatshirt I should wear on Saturday. ;)

Megs said...

Oh TR...it really won't matter what sweatshirt you wear...because I'll be wearing my Mountaineer Spirit gloves...that will make this game on like Donkey Kong!

Old said...

Congrats to WVU

West Virginia 31, North Carolina 30

Old said...

I guess those spirit gloves worked!

Em said...

LOL Okay so you'll have to show me when I see you next exactly how mom's face looked when puke face puked. That made me laugh. If Beth were there she would have done her "I'm not getting sick" shake. Sorry we missed seeing you at X-mas but hopefully we'll see you at Beth's shower!

P.S. WVU was on a roll on Saturday! My condolences to UNC and OSU :)