In typical fashion...I'm binge-blogging...because since June 14th I've only been in Pittsburgh 11 nights...leaving little or no blogging time. This past week I was in complete zombie mode, with activities happening every single night and no bed time earlier than midnight...UGH!! I have taken this weekend to completely catch up on sleep, organic market shopping, laundry, cleaning, gardening, Bach & Beethoven in the Park, and blogging. Here's what I've been up to for the past couple months.
1. Death Defying Flight to Atlanta, APSAC, Christy in Athens, & Death Defying Flight back to Pittsburgh
On June 16th, I headed to Atlanta to present at the APSAC (American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children) Colloquium. My direct flight to Atlanta was to depart from Pittsburgh at 6:30pm; however, at approximately 5:45pm an apocalyptic storm rolled in with lightening so intense that two grounded plans were struck as well as the airport leaving a portion of it on fire. At approximately 10:30pm, the Delta staff made the announcement that our flight would board immediately so we could get in the air before the next wave of storms blew through. We boarded and taxied out unto the runway. The Pittsburgh Airport has a series of lights that notify of weather conditions (green--all good, amber--caution, red--no one move due to dangerous conditions). As we taxied out onto the runway, I saw the lights change from amber to red...my thought was, "Well, it was a nice try...I guess I'll have to get the first flight out tomorrow morning." Um...riiiight...nope...all the sudden the plane picked up speed and we were off.
To summarize the remaining part of the flight (I sat by the window), my anxiety was at a 1,000 out of a 1 to 100 & it took about 30 minutes to get to 10,000 ft., due to not being able to get above the storm system. I watched in terror as lightening hit all around the plane...I even saw lightening strike upwards...I didn't even know it could do that!!!!! No one spoke, the flight attendants remained seated the whole time, the young man sitting beside me cried, the plane shook the entire flight as if it was just going to explode, and we were re-routed around Atlanta extending our flight by another 45 minutes due to storms above Spartenburg, South Carolina.
Once we landed and I arrived to my hotel at the CNN Center (central Atlanta) at approximately 1:45am...my nerves were completely shot!!!! I didn't sleep well that night, but the next morning had to shake-off the damn flight & quickly shift into conference mode. I presented my ass off in the following days and talked so much about Child Abuse & Neglect that at the end had nothing left to say.
On Friday (June 19th), I met up with my sistah Christy. She and I caught-up over a scrumptious dinner and several tasty drinks. On Saturday, we leisurely got up and headed out to the Flying Biscuit, my favorite veggie friendly soul breakfast/brunch spot in Atlanta. MMMMMmmmmmm, Fried Green Tomatoes...no one does it better!!!!!! After a scrumptious breakfast...we headed to Little Five Points and Midtown for a bit...then it was off to Athens until the following Tuesday.
Saturday night, Andy (Christy's husband), Christy and myself headed to the The Last Resort in Athens for dinner, then it was back home for my first Wii experience and a little healthy competition between Christy and I at bowling and tennis....oh & I kicked some ASS!!! Sunday, it was off to Madison for a nice lunch & to pick-up my girls, Emma and Kiersten...then a Father's Day celebration....oh my was that father's day cake for Andy CLASSIC!!!! Monday it was off to the botanical gardens, Athens exploration, and The Grit for dinner. Tuesday, it was sadly time to fly back to Pittsburgh!!! I had the best time with Christy and family....as always my sides hurt from laughing so much...I was sad to leave. Click on Atlanta & Athens to see more pictures of my Georgian adventure.
My flight back to Pittsburgh was smooth and wonderful...well, until our decent into the airport when the pilot came on to say Pittsburgh had picked up significant winds, we would have a very rough landing and if the winds were too strong to land then upon hitting the runway we would have to take-off again---wonderful...seriously folks....wonderful. We landed on the first try...but extremely hard & because the plane had to land at such a fast speed, once we landed and made the sharp turn (practically on the one left wheel), I looked out the window and WE WERE RIGHT AT THE END OF THE RUNWAY!!!!! I was so very glad to be back on the ground--yippee!!!!
2. Grave Stone Robbing with the Family & Amanda's Happy Hour
I'm sorry, at this time, I have no photos of this adventure...hopefully, I'll be able to get some photos from my parents, but in the meantime....here is a little flavor. So, my great-great-great grandfather & grandmother were buried in 1887 (?) at the almost top of hill in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains. Some of my extended family members felt that since our family no longer owned the property where these bodies were buried...then, we should move the very old & heavy grave stone to the cemetery where our other relatives are buried.
So, several of my family members, including my dad and myself, hiked through the forest & after much searching my dad found the grave site. At which point, the 5,000 lb grave stone was hauled up the hill and onto the cab of my dad's truck. In the meantime, I made a make-shift grave site and did a little spiritual cleansing to explain to our deceased family members what was happening and that we were all doing this out of love--so no need to come after haunt us. After a 6 hour grave stone robbing adventure it was back into town to my great uncle Gink's where his wife Gloria and their daughters (Julia and Mary Beth) along with my mom had prepared a dinner. I must say...I complained a lot and didn't want to do this activity...but spending time with family that I rarely see anymore was well worth all the effort.
Sadly, Amanda (who has guest appeared on my blog in several posts) is moving on and attending graduate school, but the great thing is that she's not going to be too far away because she will be starting at WVU...toot, toot!!!! After having several going away events for Amanda, a group of us threw her one last hoorah by way of a little going away happy hour at the Panther Hollow Inn in Oakland the day before her final day of work. Unfortunately, Amanda's hours of happiness coincided with about a 150% humidity, a torrential downpour & Michael Jackson's death...but I think we made the best of it!!! Above is Amanda and I with our Whiskey drinks....this is never a good thing...she with the tolerance of a pre-pubescent boy & me with my tolerance of a 60 year old alcoholic man...needless-to-say after several whiskey drinks...we killed the night.
Amanda will be ridiculously missed...she is always up for an adventure, always willing to help out, has such a kind heart, a fabulous sense of humor, and is just as quirky as I am. See you at the end of July Amanda.....yeah Neko Case!!!
3. Mansfield, Ohio & a visit to TR and Jenny's
This is Angelwoods Hideway Bed & Breakfast located just outside of Mansfield, Ohio, where I stayed for a couple days/nights and conducted a training for therapists who are working in the Child Abuse and Neglect field. Typically, I'm consulting/training in very sterile environments, engaging with people who look like, with every word I utter, that I am beating them in the head with a bat, but this was a very engaged bunch, which led to a fabulous training and a relaxing atmosphere.
Then it was off from Mansfield to Cincinnati...wait...scratch that...Dayton/Centerville on Thursday, July 2nd, to visit with my cousin TR and his family Jenny & baby Lucy. Friday, Jenny, Lucy and I played around & on Saturday, TR and I headed to the 2nd Street Market where I had the most scrumptious vegan breakfast (Tofu Scramble and a blueberry green tea)!!!
Seriously, I have thought about this breakfast since last Saturday!!!! At the market, I picked up some fresh blueberries and some agave nectar. TR had a THAI breakfast omelet and then purchased some freshly made gnocchi. After taking in everything that the market had to offer...it was back to the house and then on to the Centerville 4th of July street fair. It was ridiculously crowded...so I separated from TR, Jenny and jammin-out Lucy for a bit to sit and enjoy snarfling-up a bag of kettle corn and freshly squeezed lemonade...mmmmm!!
That afternoon TR & Jenny hosted a 4th of July party and the rainy weather...wa, waaaaa...but everyone had a great time regardless of the rain & at the end of the night we could even see the fireworks from TR & Jenny's backyard. Of course, I sported my veggie hotdogs and drank several "Red-Eyes" in celebration of the US's birthday. Thanks again TR & Jenny for your hospitality and throwing such a great soirée!!!
4. Back in Pittsburgh
Now, I'm back in Pittsburgh for the remainder of July...so hopefully I'll be quick on the blogging front...until then :-)

2 comments:
Me luv blg. u rit gud... grl, Christy look like when litl grl..me lisen to Neko C....purrr
aww meegs love the blog post! can't wait for NEKO in a couple of weeks...what what!
Post a Comment