
At 6 years old, the very first real album/cassette tape I had (other than my Mickey & Friends or Annie) was Michael Jackson's Thriller album. I listened to every song over and over and over again with the exception of Thriller. Vincent Price's freaky voice was way too much for my 6 year old brain. When I heard the door creak at the beginning or heard Vincent Price's laugh, all I could picture was a gang of teen werewolves lurking in the forest behind my house, meeting up with their zombie BFF's from the cemeteries down the road & then eventually descending upon my house to snack on myself & my family. Yeah...it was a great time being a 6 year old Michael Jackson fan!!! Anyhoo, as I got a little older, I not only gained an intense appreciation for Thriller the song (due to the insane choreography & the deadly zombies), but I also gained an appreciation for Michael Jackson as an artist & performer.
So, due to Michael Jackson's unfortunate death...here is my little tribute to the pop-star via "My top 15 favorite Michael Jackson tunes."
15. Remember The Time: I like this song, for most part, because of the video...I loved that Iman & Eddie Murphy were in the video, the choreography was amazing, and the fact the video had an Egyptian theme was the icing on the cake (FYI---I am fascinated by Egypt). Soooo, each time I hear this song it's only obvious that I break out my hieroglyphic dances moves.
14. Off the Wall: Michael's high-pitched voice throughout this song is crazy, & I like when he says, "Tooo-night...you gotta leave that 9 to 5 upon the shelf." Of course, it's disco moves with this song...so, watch out!!!
13. Will You Be There: This is such a pleasant song and it also carries a nice life-lesson, especially for Social Workers. The lyric, "I'm only human," always serves as a great reminder and helps to keep me grounded from that awful hype that I'm a miracle worker.
12. You Are Not Alone: I always thought this was just a loverly song. Can't watch the video because Michael's weirdness seeps through...but, really like the song none-the-less.
11. Rock With You: Love the violin runs & the subtle little trumpet/saxophone beeps. Such a great song to get down to...love when he says, "You got to feel that heat then we can ride the boogie." Quincy Jones was brilliant with this tune...a very sexy song for a man (ie Michael) who didn't seem to date much!!!
10. Dirty Diana: This song makes me feel dirty for even liking it. I adore how intense & dark this song is...I think Michael Jackson had a much darker side than a lot of his songs portrayed. I always play this song wickedly loud...love that electric guitar & whatever those electric fading claps are!!!
9. Man In the Mirror: Karen...if your reading this...this is for you!!! I have always loved this song...so, when my roommate, Karen, & I (we both were working for Child Protective Services at the time) needed an emotional boost to lift our somewhat broken spirits, I took it upon myself to blast Man In the Mirror for us each morning before work. I'm not sure it gave us the emotional boost we needed, but it sure did provide for some good morning humor.
8. Billie Jean: I've got to take it back to where it all began...the Thriller album. Man, when I played this song, I would rock the house out with finger snapping, and singing "HEEE-HEEEE," "Don't think twice, Don't think twice...OHH-OOHOO" at the top of my lungs. I remember thinking that the lyrics were, "Chair is not by my side," but, now I know that the lyrics actually are, "The child is not my son." CLASSIC!
7. P.Y.T (Pretty Young Thing): Again another fabulous song from the Thriller album. I was obsessed with singing the part of the song "PTY" very quickly and then moving my fingers as if I was playing the synthesizer....THANK GOD, YouTube was not available at that time.
6. Thriller: Full circle...all of my favorite parts now are all the parts I was terrified to hear as a 6 year old...the howling, thunder crashes, Vincent Price, creaky doors and haunting foot steps...brilliant!!!
5. Human Nature: This is one of those Sunday morning songs....you know the songs that play in the background while you drink your coffee and read the paper. It's a Sunday morning song because of its pleasantness & soothing background parts, which have such a unique rhythm.
4. Give It to Me: Another dark song & a favorite...I always liked the lyric, "It seems you get your kicks from hurting me," because I've never really understood those people who hurt others so that they can feel better about themselves. I liked that Michael brought that right out onto the table. But, really the best parts of the song are the on-going guitar solos by Slash (guitarist for Guns N'Roses). I love this video, as well, because you get to see Slash's full face...sooo sexy without his dark sunglasses!!
3. Scream: This was a sing-song with Janet...this is the best song to put on a running mix. It's angry, loud, dark and has lots of different beats breezing throughout the entire song. I always feel like screaming after I listen to it...I know one day I'm going to spontaneously belt it out.
2. I Want You Back: The best part of this song is the opening instrumental part...the piano, met with guitar and met a little bit of tambourine. The most pleasant way to beg someone to take you back!!! "OOOhhh, baby I was blind to let you go." CLASSIC!!!
1. You Rock My World: Ahhhh, my favorite on many levels...love the synthesizers, along with his little chit-chat at the start. I love singing aloud at the top of my lungs to the parts when he goes, "OOOOOOOOO--oooooo, feels like I...." & "WOOOOO." This song always puts me in the best mood, and I always make sure I get up and dance around to this one!!! I love it so much that I've included the video to this, my favorite, song...enjoy!!!
5 comments:
Q: What is the difference between Michael Jackson, and Michael Jackson jokes?
A: The jokes get older.
I love "Thriller". I think the song and video were major milemarkers for the music industry...enjoyed your list.
It's all about Billie Jean for me. It'll probably never happen, but I'm envisioning Lindsey Buckingham covering it on solo acoustic guitar. A man can dream...
Wow...how awesome would it be to have a MJ acoustic guitar album by Lindsey!!! Great...now I've got something new to obsess about :-)
Now that I have found your blog again, I really want to tell you how much I have enjoyed reading it...keep it up and I love the video inserts...xoox your fav auntie B
Post a Comment