My 6/06 began with the sound of my annoying alarm at 5:15am, Saturday morning. Because it was so very early in the morning I needed a mantra to keep me focused on the tasks at hand so that I wouldn't go back to sleep and be late for the events of the day. My mantra: get up, shower, get dressed, get water, drive car, pick up Amanda...and that's exactly what I did. By the time I picked up Amanda my chipperness was starting to seep through & between both of our chipper selves our adventure started off on the right foot (secretly, I think we both were not as chipper as we appeared, however, let this be a lesson to the concept of "fake it till you make it," because I think this helped convince our zombie modes to get moving).
Anyhoo, Amanda and I were up this early convincing ourselves to be chipper, because we were driving to Morgantown to help out with the Decker's Creek Trail 1/2 Marathon, that is sponsored every year by the Mon River Trails Conservancy. Since my pal, Ms Ella Belling, coordinates this monstrous event...each year I offer my services in the area where she needs the most assistance. This year it was passing out water & Gatorade 4 miles in from the race start, which happened to be in the middle of the mountains, along the Decker's Creek, on the Decker's Creek Trail. Amanda tagged along because in the Fall she will be attending WVU (as a graduate student in the psychology department); therefore, we thought (aside from needing the extra hands) that this would be a great way for her to meet new people and see a side of Morgantown that is not affiliated with WVU.
It was a super foggy morning; however, it was very interesting because my super iMix music beats seemed to go with the fogs ebb and flow. In fact, at one point as the fog parted and the music came to a crescendo, you could see the start of the morning sunrise...it was gorgeous. Both Amanda and I concluded at that point that we were going to have one of the most glorious and spectacular days.
Decker's Creek
Once we arrived in Morgantown, it was breakfast & coffee at Panera Bread Company (the only restaurant open at that early morning hour), then off to Kingwood to set up for the water/Gatorade stop. Our location was along the trail behind the home of a man named Dave. Dave is such a supporter of the Rails to Trails project that he built a "Snack Shack" and covered rest stop for tired runners, bikers & hikers right along the trail. In the past, during the race, Dave and his pal Leonard (aka Buzz) manage this water stop; however, due to Dave and Leonard's old age and the number of runners they both felt like they just couldn't do it this year; however, they graciously showed us the ropes and gave us a couple tips. As the first runners came around the bend until the last runner came swaggering through...the amazing energy & appreciation the runners exuded was really cool. After the last runner passed through the stop, we cleaned up, packed up and headed into Morgantown to the finish line to meet up with Ella.
The Finish Line
Me flashing my "LOVE" gang sign at some "LOVE" graffiti along the trail...I love the 110%!!!
Once downtown...Amanda and I spent a significant amount of time walking on the MonRiver Trail, chatting with folks and taking pictures. When we were given the "clear" from Ella, Amanda and I headed out to Cooper's Rock to hike the Raven's Rock Trail. The forest was absolutely breathtaking--Morgantown had received a lot of rain within the days preceding Saturday, so you could hear all of the run-off water running through the mountain for the entire hike. The birds were out, loud and proud...if felt at some points between the water & the birds, like we were walking in the rain-forest. The forest floor was blanketed with healthy ferns, in fact the colors of the trees and ferns were such a healthy vibrant green that it looked like a zillion glow sticks had exploded all over the forest--AMAZING!!! Once we made it out to Raven's Rock it was as breathtaking as I had remembered from back in the day when I hiked to this rock almost every day. It was great to have that time for a little reflection.
Me taking a little time to reflect at Raven's Rock.
After our hike, Amanda and I were quite famished...so of course...where do we go...my favorite spot Mario's Fishbowl. Oh, it was such a nostalgic lunch...I had my classic grilled cheese with tomatoes & pickles and a Red-Eye Fishbowl. By the way...KUDOS to Amanda for going out on a limb and trying her first Red-Eye Fishbowl...next time Amanda you must graduate to drinking your Fishbowl with one hand (hee, hee, hee). For all of you unfamiliar with a Red-Eye...it is just simply beer and tomato juice; however, for me you can't mix just any beer...for me you have to white trash it up with Miller Lite and only Miller Lite....mmmmmmmmmmm!
Here is Amanda enjoying her first Fishbowl & Red-Eye!!!! Yeah Amanda!!!
It was a nostalgic lunch, not just because of the grilled cheese, but also because I have such found memories of "The Fishbowl" (as I call it). From my study sessions, to times with friends and old boyfriends...it was my "Cheers." I lived about 3 blocks away and it was such a great place to go and be comfortable and have fun...no matter the crowd or night. I remember turning 21 years old and celebrating at Mario's...Mr. Mario asked me what I was celebrating, and I told him that it was my birthday and I just turned 21...he paused for a moment and said, "Wait a minute...you've been coming in here for the past 2 years!!!" See, Mr. Mario was a big stickler for NO underage drinking...so that night, because I explained how his bar was so comforting and because he felt like I was such a responsible underage drinker, he let me write a little something and put my name on his wall (it's a Mario's tradition).
Here is my 21st birthday writing from 1999...which can still be seen on the wall at Mario's Fishbowl today.
The spookiest part about being at "the Fishbowl" was when we sat down at one of the booths...low and behold what was right beside us...but a writing on the wall for top pin-ball score....the score 606, 538, 020...yeah...weird right?!
606 reference on 6/06
After lunch and two Fishbowls later, Amanda went to her new apartment and chit-chatted a bit with her new roommate, while I went to Ella's for a little after race soiree. Finally, after a long and perfect day...it was time for Amanda and I to hop back in my car (aka Mountain Mama) to come back to Pittsburgh...and we were exhausted!!! I got home, showered, sat on my couch for about 2 minutes where I preceded to fall asleep until 7:30am the next morning. I was so out of it that the TV remote was still in my hand the next morning...oh but was I rested!!!!
In conclusion, a BIG thanks to Amanda, Dave and Leonard, Morgantown, Ella, Raven's Rock, Mario's Fishbowl and all the other random folks and moments that made this 6/06 such a great day...I now have a positive feelings & associations when it comes to the number 606.
For more pictures of the "Perfect 606 Ever" click here.
2 comments:
The kurz broken! me happy kat.
just read this...really most perfect day ever. i need to get the pictures! all 90 of them...haha
Post a Comment