Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Lucky 41

This is the iMix I put together the other night while I was buzzing around my apartment doing stupid chores...blah!  I thought I'd give you a little glimpse behind why I'm diggin' these "Lucky 41" songs/artists right now (to listen to the iMix on iTunes, click on the "Lucky 41" mix to the side under my glorious picture).  

1.  Love Lockdown by Kanye West:  This song didn't show up on the iMix...too bad...because it's a lyrically wicked song. This new album displays a different side of Kanye...instead of mixing beats from classic artists such as Steely Dan...he's mixing beats from old Atari games.  

2. Electric Feel by MGMT: The beats in this song are crazy!!!!  I first heard this band at a live show....they completely caught me off guard...I was hooked instantly and have seem them live several times since.  This song makes me want to march in place while raving around my apartment.
  
3.  Sweet Thing by Van Morrison:  I have many Van Morrison favorites, but I always come back to this one.  

4. Baba O'Riley by The Who: Oh how I love this band...the beginning always gets me pumped and gives me that "Rocky" feeling.  

5. Set the Mood Prelude/Until the End of Time by Justin Timberlake: One of the sexiest songs of my generation...so much is conveyed in the simpleness of the song's melody and lyrics. 

6. XR2 by M.I.A:  I'm amazed by her talent and her music is definitely something not like anything else.  Her songs are strange...but little do most people know that there are political undertones in each of them. Check out her song "Paper Planes"...chilling!

7. Spotlight by Jennifer Hudson: Sing it sister!!!! I like the "yeah hee, hee" parts.

8. Crosses by Jose Gonzalez: I feel everything will be okay after I listen to this song...it's very calming. 

9. I Am Women by Helen Reddy:  Oh yeah!!!!  Love the song, love Helen Reddy (I was a big Pete's Dragon fan when I was younger). This song makes me want to paint my toenails then take over the world--that's right...rise up bitches!!!!  

10. When the Sun Goes Down by Arctic Monkeys:  I rock the house out with my super dance moves (just like an iTunes commercial) when I listen to this song.  Yeah...stupid scum-bags!!!

11. Big Easy by Raphael Saadiq: Not only do I dance around...but I hand clap to this song. In fact, I clap my hands more in this song than I do in the "Bullet and a Target" song by Citizen Cope.

12. Miss Independent by Ne-Yo: Ladies--always question a boy who doesn't respect female independence.

13. Must I Paint You a Picture by Billy Bragg:  Oh Billy Bragg...his accent makes even the most depressing songs sound hopeful.

14. Walkin' After Midnight by Patsy Cline: A Patsy classic!!  We all have those insane things we do for the one we love...mine is not walkin' after midnight...but I love this song none-the-less.

15. Heaven by John Legand: A ridiculously talented artist...I love the part when he says, "There you go..." I dance it up "Temptations" style. 

16. That Hump by Erykah Badu: Too many Erykah favorites...but right now I'm jammin' out to her new stuff.  I think we all can relate to "That Hump."  

17. Sex, Love & Money by Mos Def: Oh yeah...such a tight song...um, can I say air flute!!!!  

18. Dreaming with a Broken Heart by John Mayer:  I don't normally listen to John Mayer, but this song is so true...only those who have truly experienced the ache of a broken heart can understand the lyrics to this song. 

19. Gypsy by Fleetwood Mac: My all time favorite band...this song is really about finding yourself again.  I love the line that says, "She is dancing, away, from you now." Brilliant!!!

20. Who's Gonna Save My Sould by Gnarls Barkley: A great rendition of the old James Brown hit.

21. Hold On, Hold On by Neko Case: The guitar and her mesmerizing voice...AWESOME!!!! March 2009, new Neko Case album and tour...road trip! 

22. Melt My Heart to Stone by Adele: Brilliant lyrics and expression of that feeling when you realize someone doesn't love you back...ugh!   

23. Vincent O'Brien by M. Ward: This guy is hella crazy and sings about crazy things...check out "Sad, Sad, Song."  For some reason I'm addicted...I can't stop listening and singing along.

24. The Light by Common: A classic!!!  Out of all of Common's songs...I always come back to this one--I love Stevie Wonder in the background and love the line, "...some recognize your light, but can handle the glare."   

25. Brothers on a Hotel Bed by Death Cab for Cutie: To be honest I have no idea what this song is about. I think it's about both the hope that love will last for years to come and the fear that it won't? But...regardless, this song was so good live that I've never been able to get it out of my head...therefore, it's one of my favorites.

26. Check Yo' Self by Ice Cube: My theme music at work!  This song allows me to remain in the game.  

27. How Long Do I Have to Wait For You by Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings: AMAZING!!! These folks are incredible...especially at a live show.  So, don't pass them up if they come to your town.  

28. Lesson Learned by Alicia Keys: I could listen to Alicia Keys all day long!!!  This song is a good reminder that even in the most darkest of circumstances that there is hopefully something positive you can take away!!!

29. It Don't Have to Change by John Legend: This song makes me want join a gospel choir and snap my fingers.

30. Strawberry Swing by Coldplay: I'm hooked on Coldplay and even more so on their new album. This song makes me happy and energized...I always appreciate my life more when I listen to it...it also helps remind me not to take anything or anyone for granted.  

31. Edge of Seventeen by Stevie Nicks: Twirl Stevie...twirl!!!! Um, can I say karaoke anyone?!  

32. U.N.I.T.Y by Queen Latifah: I remember hearing this song for the first time and thinking, "Get it girl!"  Her album was the bible of not settling for less or what's expected of you...but to always strive for what you're worth. 

33. Feeling Good by Nina Simone: Her voice and emotion...damn!!!  The way she sings this song can make the devil even feel good about his day. 

34. Graceland by Paul Simon: Look....I love Paul Simon and I love the Graceland album. I love the line hidden in the belly of this song, it goes, "Losing love is like a window in your heart...everybody sees you're blown apart....everybody sees the wind blow."  So true and what a great way to say it!

35. Best Thing by Usher/Jay-Z: I like this song because you don't often get to hear a guy brag and boast about embracing the transition from being a selfish boy to growing into a selfless man.  

36. Son of a Gun by Carly Simon/Missy Elliott/Janet Jackson: "You're so Vain" is my favorite Carly Simon song....so add Missy Elliott's beats and Janet's voice and you get this insane collaboration. 

37. Waiting in Vain by Annie Lennox: My favorite rendition of this old Bob Marley song.  One of the most amazing songs ever written...the level of commitment and hope in the lyrics is something, for me, that only Annie Lennox's voice can convey.

38. D******d by Kate Nash: Well done Kate...well done!!!

39. Mad Tom of Bedlam by Jolie Holland: My pal Lance introduced me to this very bizarre and quite chilling tune--love it!  Jolie Holland is one of the singers from "The Be Good Tanyas." 

40. If I Were a Boy by Beyonce: An interesting perspective! Again...guys who will live as boys for the rest of their lives because they will never be able to grow the balls that it takes to live as a man.  

41. Magic by Robin Thicke: God...I love this guy...so smooth and sexy!!! Who would have thought his dad is Alan Thicke?!  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed this list...

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed it too--I downloaded some MGMT. I can't believe you put up Graceland, it reminded me of your Graceland pilgrimage back in 2000. I can still see you making those CD's with Graceland/Tennesse/Elivs inspired songs. I also had flashbacks when I saw the Who :-) Remember when you would play "Pinball Wizard" on the jut-box as you played the pinball machine at that Fishbowl place in Morgantown.

Anonymous said...

I want a playlist, something inspirational, but no Celine Dion. Ethan nice "flashback" to the Pinball Wizard days--Megs killed at Pinball when she listened to that song.