Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Can I get an AMEN-A!!!


As many of you know...I have struggled with this election; however, over the past 3 months, as the Democratic party has become more united, I have seen Obama have the needed support to transform himself from a leader with great futuristic ideas to a leader with an action plan to implement those ideas. So, I began my election morning on Tuesday with a beautiful brisk walk to the polls and a confident vote for Obama/Biden, while of course sporting a purple shirt and purple scarf to symbolize my support of U-N-I-T-Y between the red and blue parties.

Once at the polls, I waited in line for about an hour...which was actually a good thing because I live in a predominately African-American community where we rarely get a decent voter turnout. While waiting in line I had amazing conversations about race and diversity with my neighbors, and I met some new voting faces. In fact, during one conversation, my neighbor Ms Charlene and I were shocked to learn that this was our 72 year old neighbor, Ms Maxine Mae's, first voting experience--AMAZING. After these incredible conversations, I voted proudly for Barak...well, actually a 5 year old girl, named Latavia, voted for/with me. Latavia, her twin sister, her mother (Michelle) and infant brother stood in line with myself, Ms Charlene and Ms Maxine. It was agreed by us and Michelle, so that both Latavia and her sister would remember this historical vote, Latavia would vote with me and her sister would vote with Ms Charlene.

As the results poured in late on Tuesday night and Barak Obama was declared the 44th President of the United States...my neighborhood and more specifically my street erupted into party mode. Everyone, including moi, was out in the street celebrating...in fact, my neighbor rolled out his big screen TV onto his porch and we all gathered around to watch McCain and Obama's speeches. After more celebrating and discussion, I called it a night at 2:45am.

After eight very long years of George W. Bush and his ridiculousness we now have control of the House, Senate and Presidency...oh the places we could go...have I mentioned yet that it's a good day for soical workers? Anyhoo, I hope you all have seen Obama's acceptance speech...but, just in case you missed it or needed an extra shot of HOPE for the day...here it is:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was in Grant Park! I called you a hundred times but couldn't get through. I think too many people were using their cellphones. I'll call tonight after 30 rock and pretend like it was Tuesday night and I'm sharing the excitement of Grant Park!