
Before I left for Australia, I wasn't sure how much, if any, internet access I would have, and because my computer skills leave much to be desired...I thought blogging would be the perfect storm to a traveling inconvenience. However, with 20/20 hindsight, I now believe it would have been easier to spread "MEG'S AUSTRALIAN EXCELLENT ADVENTURE GOOD WORD" by creating and blogging while on my trip. So, with a little 20/20 hindsight mixed with a little "it's never too late," I'm starting off my "I've got something to say..." blog with a few Australian tales.
First, I would like to say Australia was the most "unobnoxious," most "aesthetically pleasing," and coolest (for lack of a better word) place I have ever traveled. I saw so much of the country...very quickly I might add...and experienced such transitions in climate, time zones, and culture that it was hard to fully appreciate my trip until I returned to the US. As most of you know from your own adventures, your stories and pictures can never really do the experience justice, but I'm going to try as hard as I can to give you a little bit of what it was like for me on this adventure!!!!!

I flew to Australia from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). I gotta say while waiting at the terminal...I felt both completely terrified and completely excited all at the same time. Thankfully, I killed the anxious time by having great conversations with Christy, Bronwyn, and my mom--I'd like to take this blogging moment to send a special "Thank-You" shout out to each of them for helping keep me grounded before I hopped on my flight. Christy convinced me to by tons of trashy magazines...which I did...$32 dollars worth of US Weekly, People, In Touch, Okay! Magazine, Yoga Journal, and InStyle.
Qantas Airways was the airline I chose to safely transport me from LA to Australia. When it was time to finally board my jumbo, Aboriginal painted plane, I shut-off my mobile phone (which would not be in service again until I returned to the US) took a deep breath and thought, "Here we go!!!" As soon as I walked onto the plane my feeling spectrum shifted from terrified to complete excitement. For the record Qantas Airline is the secret of the sky. It is HEAVEN compared to the ridiculousness exuded by US Airways, Delta, and frankly any other US Airline. Qantas was super accommodating (free alcoholic drinks for the entire flight, vegan meals, lovely scrumptious snacks, hot towels, personal televisions, non-itchy blankets/pillows), and it also had the nicest Flight Attendants EVER!!!!!!!
I was assigned a window seat in row 42...which was not even half-way to the end of the plane. At first I was a little leery about the lack of space I noticed that I was going to have for the next gazillion hours....but guess what....the seat beside me was empty...oh yeah (are you picturing the little dance I was doing in my seat)!!!!! Therefore, I had a little more room to stretch out the ole legs on this 18 hour flight. I'm not even sure I can verbalize what it means to be on an 18 hour flight...when the airline shows you exercises to do during the flight, due to your lack of mobility, to prevent you from having blood clots and an aneurysm...you know your on one hell of a long journey.
I finished reading my 20 magazines within the first 3 hours of the flight, but at least I was caught up on all the hullabaloo from the world of no utter ridunkulousness. So at this point it was all about sleep, snacks, and the personal television/radio provided for me by the best airline ever---have I said this already? I listened to several Australian music artists, watched the movies "Juno" and "The Darjeeling Limited," and lots of episodes of the "Office" and "Seinfeld."
We had a layover for about an hour in Auckland, New Zealand. As we were flying into the Auckland airport (it was very early in the morning...I believe 7am), the sun was rising and the view of the ocean and mountains below were absolutely breathtaking. My mother's famous quote is, "There is nothing like an Appalachian Spring," well, let me say that I see your "Appalachian Spring" and raise you a "Sunrise with a New Zealand mountain on the coast" (just kidding mom...nothing touches that Appalachian Spring--aaahhhh). It was at this point that I started a little theme for the remainder of the trip...it was called..."next time I visit." I was disappointed I wasn't able to spend time in New Zealand; however, next time I visit...New Zealand all the way.
Anyhoo, it was about a 4 hour flight from Auckland to Melbourne. The gentleman I sat beside from Auckland to Melbourne was lovely. He had been conferencing in Auckland for the past week...we chatted about many things including...politics!!!! Just for the record he brought it up--he was super interested with the US Presidential Primary process, as well as my ideas about US Politics, more importantly why the US elected George Bush. In turn he filled me in about the governmental shake up in Australia with the Labor Party candidate (Kevin Rudd) defeating longtime dominating Liberal Party candidate (John Howard) and the affects in every day Australian living.
Once I arrived at the Melbourne Airport, my first Australian lesson/acclimation was with walking...who'd have thought? In Australia it isn't just the cars that drive on the left...in Australia you also walk on the left. After practically getting pummeled to death a couple times by a massive rush of airport pedestrians...the nice gentleman I sat beside on the plane pulled me aside and gave me a quick tutorial on Australian walking etiquette. Once I got the walking pattern down...it was off to customs which took a very long time!!!!! As I'm waiting in the custom line I notice the serious Security/Custom Guards at the airport walk around with a sidekick "Quarantine" dogs. These dogs, like McGruff the Crime Dog, are walked by you every 15 minutes to sniff out crimes from smuggling fruits/vegetables into the country to harboring weapons o' mass destruction. The funny thing...these deadly crime sniffing dogs are actually cute little Beagles!!! It looked like Snoopy was searching and rummaging around through my bags. Lots of people were irritated at this process because your bags had to be on the ground so that the dogs had perfect sniffing access...how could anyone be irritated at Snoopy, I ask? Anyhoo, I made it through customs and luckily my Australian VISA was approved (this is the first time you are notified of approval). I came through the custom doors and into the main portion of the airport...next step money exchange and transportation out of this joint.
After exchanging money (which the Australian dollar and American dollar are now of equal value)...I head to a transportation kiosk. I find that a taxi will cost me $55 dollars and city transport will cost $16. Of course I go with city transport...as I hop on the bus I notice everyone talking on their cellphones. I realized that this was the first time in 8 years I have not been linked to a cellphone or paging system...it felt a little weird, almost as if I was naked.
As I looked around to my new surroundings...the scenery was unique...it reminded me of pictures I've seen of urban African cities. Below is one of the artistic structures that was along the highway as we entered Melbourne. I never found out if there was a purpose for this piece or if it was just there for a welcoming visual purpose.

As I sat on the bus coming into Melbourne, I tried very hard to figure out the time difference between the US and Melbourne...finally concluding Melbourne was 14 hours ahead of Pittsburgh (Eastern Standard Time) and Melbourne was 17 hours ahead of Los Angeles (Pacific Standard Time). Let me just say that after this exercise on top of having limited sleep...I thought my head was going to explode.

I arrived into Melbourne at Southern Cross Station. I quickly obtained a map and realized that the Ibis Hotel, where I was to stay, was only a few blocks away on Little Bourke (pronounced Burk) Street. So, off I went by foot to the Ibis Hotel. It was a gorgeous day and a nice walk...sunny about 70 degrees. I checked in at the hotel...and was given a second financial reality check when I was informed that breakfast in the mornings was $19.50 for continental and $32 for hot...blerg! At this point, I figured I'd need a breakfast plan B. My room was cute and simple...I contacted my mom and dad and let them know I'd arrived safely and then went out for a quick stroll around Melbourne to get an idea and flavor of the city. As the time approached 7pm...I was beginning to feel the jet lag...so after a quick bite to eat at a local pizza shop, I then strolled on back to the hotel for a nice hot shower and some well deserved shut-eye.
4 comments:
Oh, I'm sssoooo into this blog...what a nice surprise...love your references to how your mother changed your life, she's pretty,etc. etc., ha,ha.
Hey Meghan. I agree with your Hillary opinions. I hope she gets it. Plus I am so jealous that you were in Austrailia!!! The last holiday I took was to Chuck E. Cheese. Hey, but I did win Dave Matthews tickets on the radio. I bet Christy didn't mention it when she visited. She's jealous! Where's spell check on this blog?
Jenny
more...more ...pahleeeeeze more!!!!!!
xoxox Auntie Beck
Agreeing with Auntie Beck - More!More!! More!!!
Post a Comment