So this tale begins on a very, very, VERY early Sunday morning, when (thanks to Sheri Hertzig and her awesome transporting skills) I headed to the Pittsburgh Airport. My first flight took off from Pittsburgh on-time and landed in San Fransisco....are you ready...an HOUR EARLY! Once in San Fransisco with all my extra time, I loaded up on breakfast, water, as well as non-trashy & trashy magazines (that's trashy as in People, US, Star, etc., NOT trashy as in Penthouse, Playboy, etc.) before it was time to board. Once boarded, I killed this 12 flight with the typicals...reading about Japan, listening to Japanese audio tapes, reading magazines, chatting with the woman beside me, occasionally dozing off and watching movies (oh thank goodness for "Mary Poppins" & old "Frasier" episodes because every other movie/TV show was wretched).Once in immigration, they made me give my fingerprints and took my picture. I laughed to myself, because I typically don't even like giving the USA my fingerprints, but I decided not to rock this Japanese boat by giving some constructive "fingerprinting" feedback....so, I gave my fingerprints and moved on. Then the picture they took looked like I was in the first 48 hours of a detox program...my hair was jacked, my eyes were blood shot, and my masscara was starting to expand. The guy at immigration gave me two thumbs up and said, "That was good photo," so I didn't ask if I could have a do-over, but I think he was just giving some of that pleasant "Japanese hospitality" I've been hearing about. I was through customs in a jiff and they off to acquire transportation into Tokyo.
The Narita Airport is about a 90 minute commute into Tokyo. It was the QUIETEST commute EVER...evidently the Japanese are very respectful when commuting (no cellphone talk when on buses & trains); therefore, they make sure that their business doesn't become anyone elses'. Once in Tokyo, I hailed a taxi to transport me to The New Sanno Hotel. I want to toot my own independent traveler horn "toot, toot" because THANK GOD I had printed out the address and directions in Japanese to the New Sanno, because my taxi driver was unsure about the location and my minimal Japanese helped only so far. Somehow he and I were able to rock our language barrier and when I made it to the hotel the look on his face was a look of such relief.
In complete military fashion, my government clearances had not been sent to the hotel....so there was a long wait for things to get sorted out, but then finally I was given the "all clear" and I was off to my room, where I made a skype call to the US, took a hot shower and went to bed.
I got up this morning at 5am ready to roll. I was greeted with the best and hottest cup of Green Tea EVER!!! I was able to use a couple Japanese phrases when interacting with the tea ladies this morning. They were too cute and were impressed that I would even dream of attempting to speak Japanese; therefore, they gave me some language pointers and city tips.
After I finished my breakfast, it was exploration time, so I walked a bit around Hiroo. Hiroo is the area where my hotel is located and is typically known as a more Westernized area, this is due to the fact that most International Embassies are located in this part of Tokyo. After strolling for a bit, I headed over to test out my train station skills. It took me more than a couple minutes to figure out how to purchase a ticket, how much to pay, what to do with the ticket & where to catch the train. The Japanese really have fabulous patience with clueless train station goers, because I sure I would have been knifed or body slammed to the ground in the US for being clueless & slow. Once I made it to the train, I was amazed at how folks wait for the train. I'm used to a chaotic, free-for-all; however, here the folks wait for the trains, on the train platforms, in orderly lines. Let me just say, that my experience using Japanese transit even with the language barriers and such was a ZILLION times better than dealing with the Pittsburgh Port Authority. The trains were cheap, on-time, didn't smell of urine/deadness, and even with 1,000 people packed into one car they were still comfortable.
I spent the rest of the day walking around Roppongi...which is an interesting part of Tokyo. Roppongi has been classified as the "traditional heart of Tokyo's hedonism." It is evidently the place to come for to express all your tomfoolery. If you are looking to drink your face off, go karaoke clubbing/strip clubbing, or basically stay up all night running amok...then Roppongi is the place for you. It is business focused during the day....but most of Roppongi comes alive after 8pm. Tokyo has very minimal if any crime; however, the crime that does happen usually occurs during Roppongi's nightlife scene. But, regardless of nightime or daytime...it was an interesting area and great way to start exploring the different areas of Tokyo.
Sadly, tomorrow starts my work week....but looking forward to this weekend because my best friend Bronwyn is meeting me for an 11 day "Japanese Excellent Travel Adventure!" I can't wait, because I'm ready to get out and explore....um, like NOW! As you can tell from the photo....she and I are so excited and when this photo was taken we didn't even know we were going to Japan.

5 comments:
I want some of that tea! You are such the traveling geisha....so impressed with your travel skills. Wishing you a wonderful workshop....Go get 'em! Love you as always.
A BIG THANKS & a love ya MUM!!! LOL on my travel skills, I'll remember that the next time we travel together and there is a question about checking your carry-on bag ;-)
Cassablanca...grrrr.
I am so glad your mom reminded me to check your blog. I'm adding it to my reader. I am so happy that you're recording this, and I loved your flickr photos! Have a wonderful time in Japan!
Welcome Allison & thanks for the well wishes...when I get back we MUST meet up for some chatting yoga :-)
Post a Comment