As many of you know...there are three things that jump start my obsessive neurosis: 1.) Indian Food, 2.) The X-Files, & 3.) Fleetwood Mac. Sunday night, in a very cold and gloomy steel city, Fleetwood Mac began their ass-kickin' 2009 tour!!!! HI-YO SILVER (that's my new phrase that I've stolen from Mick Fleetwood), my pal Bronwyn and I were there in the Fleetwood Mac hype!!!!! This is us right before the show...you may not be able to tell, but I am practically jumping out of my skin in this photo.
Bronwyn (aka Beet) is such a good pal and she knows me soooo very well; therefore, it was fun going together because I know she loves me even in my "Fleetwood Mac" carnival crazy mode.
We went to dinner prior to the concert and needless to say my anticipatory concert anxiety was quite high, I must have asked her a zillion times, "What time is it?" Beet graciously indulged my ridiculousness and just as we were leaving the restaurant, I vaguely remember hearing her say, "Now, I need you to calm down for a minute, while I dig out my keys." I say, "vaguely remember hearing," because as I got out of my seat I was like, "VOOOOM" right out the door, right to the car. Ha, ha, ha, ha...I'm hysterically laughing to myself just thinking about it, because I don't even think she was out of the booth by the time I made it to the car. Oh, good times!!!
Because Beet knows me so well and feared I'd make her take several modes of transportation such as the bus, taxi, trolley, train and/or walk 100 blocks to get to the concert, she purchased a VIP parking pass, which basically allowed us to park at the front door of the arena--she definitely gets the award for "VIP Parking Queen Shiz-nit." Once inside and after our needle-in-a-hay-stack adventure of finding our seats (which were Ha-SOME...thanks Beet), I was super stoked and ready for the Macs to get this party started. As we waited for the show to start there was this very soothing sitar music playing throughout the arena. I was so jazzed up for this concert, that I believe this sitar music compiled with Beet's conversation helped me refrain from just running laps around the arena while singing my favorite Fleetwood Mac tunes.
The concert was so very relaxing and visually stimulating. The Macs opened the show by stating this was their first tour while not promoting an album; therefore, they just planned on jamming out and having a good time. I got to say, that jam out and have fun was exactly what they did...they had no opening act and played for approximately 3 hours. The most interesting part of the night, other than Mick Fleetwood yelling out "HI-YO Silver," was that they took several songs and jazzed them up a bit by changing the vocals, beats, and/or instrumental music--very interesting!!!! Better yet, to my amazement they played an old Fleetwood Mac tune called, "Oh Well" (from back in the Peter Green days, which was prior to Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joining the group). This song is a favorite of mine and I never imagined I'd ever get to hear it live....it was incredible...Lindsey, John and Mick rocked the house out to this song!!!!
I'm not going to go on and on about the concert because there is no way I can convey Fleetwood Mac's aesthetically pleasing sounds and energy...you just had to be there. However, here are a few photos of the concert...I've also included a few photos of my own from the concert...click Fleetwood Mac to view.
The group together at the start of the show (John, Stevie, Mick & Lindsey)



3 comments:
Who are those elder singers? Dear God not Fleetwood Mac? Well, they were a tad older than I...so glad you enjoyed yourself. Blog made me laugh. Thanks.
Man, I could feel your energy over the internet super highway! Sounded like fun!
Uncle Mike
did they sing "carry on my wayward son"?
what? that's not their song?
nevermind.
Post a Comment