Thursday, July 10, 2008

What's the Buzz?!

June 2008 re-cap:
My slack blogging behavior over the past month has generated quite the buzz. Many of you have expressed curiosity regarding the outcome of the approaching doom and gloomy day of 6/06 (newcomers, please reference the previous 606 post for an explanation). To put all of your worries to rest: Friday 6/06 was actually quite a pleasant day...it left no adverse events such as an alien abduction or a clonk on the head...who knows what 606 means...where is mystery solver, Jessica Fletcher, when you need her?

Anyhoo, after working hard for my money on Friday (6/06), I headed south to Morgantown to volunteer for the annual Mon River Rail Trails Half-Marathon (click to see pictures of the event).  My good friend Ella orchestrates this enormous event, which I believe brought in over 400 runners this year--AMAZING!!!! As many of you know, I'd planned to be one of those 400 runners; however, my running regime went on hiatus when I went to Australia, so Ella quickly put me to work as a volunteer. Unfortunately, for the runners the temperature was at 95+ degrees that Saturday, but thanks to Ella's preparation and organization there was enough liquid to adequately hydrate not just the runners, but all of Morgantown.

Lance (my pal and Ella's partner), who by the way makes a few guest appearances on my blog as "Old," had to work all weekend; therefore, I saw him briefly before he went to work (he works the 11pm to 7am shift) and during an early Saturday morning pick-up from his snoop-job. Kudos to Lance, by the way, for keeping me company and entertained at 7am during a Starbuck's Coffee trip.

The next weekend (June 13th & 14th), it was an all girls weekend with Leigh and Bronwyn in the remote location of Rock Cave, WV (shown above). It was a loverly weekend of lounging, chatting, drinking, eating, sunbathing, and smore making. The smores we made were even more fabulous because Leigh made home-made marshmallows...yep, it took those bad-boys to a whole new level. 

The only time I thought I might have to go carnival crazy was during a game of Phase 10 (card game). Now, I think I must add that Bronwyn and I are a little competitive when it comes to Phase 10. I think she even drugged my drink once several years ago, so I'd be too loopy to play with strategy...but that's just one of my many Phase 10 conspiracy theories. Anyhoo, when we were all playing and I was kicking Bronwyn's ass, in order to take me out, she called upon the dirty card game tricks. Bronwyn made sure to remind Leigh, each time I discarded, what my strategy might be, so that Leigh would know not to give me the cards I could potentially need. As a result, I LOST!!!!! So, Beet if your reading this...next time...you and me...Phase 10...IT'S ON!!!!

The following Friday night (June 20th) my friend, Anastasia Lunarhausin (whose real name must be concealed due to her high-falootin political position here in Pittsburgh), had her 32nd birthday bash. It began with drinks at a local watering hole and then moved to the local bowling alley for a night of bowling and karaoke. Unfortunately, just like her name the photos must be concealed....take my word that it was a damn good time!!! Happy Birthday Anastasia!!

The next day (June 21st) I awoke early to prepare for my LiaSophia Jewelry Party that I hosted that afternoon for my cousin Beth. It was such a gorgeous afternoon...we had a plethora of bling, great conversation (thank you to all the party goers and purchasers), food, and beverages. The beverage hit of the party was definitely the Bourbon Slushes (seen above). It was good to catch up and chat with Beth, hopefully, I coaxed her into attending the WVU Football games this year with the rest of our cool family members (oh...no offense to those family members that support other teams...one day your teams will be cool too).

For the grand "June weekend re-cap" finale...the last weekend in June (June 28th) my good friend Becky Moon Ruark (old Virginia Commonwealth University pal) and her sister, Maggie Moon Toth, visited (Becky from College Park, Maryland and Maggie from Cleveland, Ohio). It was a fabulous weekend of good chats, laughs, eats, shopping, and drinks. Seriously, when I say good eats, shops and drinks...I'm not exaggerating. Here are the venues we visited: 
1. Piccolo Forno(eats), 2. Sugar Boutique (shopping), 3. Divertido (shopping), 4.Pavement (shopping), 5. Dozen Bake Shop (eats), 6. Point Brugge (eats), 7. Square Cafe(eats), 8. Shadyside Shops (shopping)
It was so good to visit with Becky and Maggie...they are such wonderful guests. I am still smiling from some of the funny stories that they both shared...ha, ha, ha, ha!!!!  I can't wait for June 2009 to roll around so we can do it all again.

Lastly, June has been full of rain and stormy weather.  Above is a picture of my neighborhood after an insanely crazed storm we had on the last Saturday of June---it was absolutely beautiful!!! 

2 comments:

TR Amrine said...

wow, pretty boring june, eh?

sounds like you had a great month. glad the 606 monsters didn't steal your soul or anything.

sorry we won't see you this weekend, but lucy lou's looking forward to her special delivery!

Old said...

Hey, thanks for the write up. Nice pictures from the half-marathon. Here is the MRTC
review.

I, too, am glad nothing evil happened on 6/06.