Friday, October 31, 2008

It's the Witching Hour

Halloween is really my favorite time of year!!! For me...the pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns, cider, corn mazes, candy (especially candy corn), hay-rides, costumes, spells and witchiness can not be topped by any other holiday.

I think this stems from the fact that my mother was a complete Halloween loon!!!! Seriously folks...every Halloween she would dress up as the scariest wicked witch on the planet and pass out trick-or-treat candy. With her make-up and witchy character transformation, I couldn't even look at or be around her, because it would wig me about a bit. She would sit on the front porch in an old chair, that had snakes and spiders hanging off of it, with an old cauldron, a rickety broom and bleeding lit candles at her side. To top it off, her trick-or-treat wooden bowl would have fake eye-balls and a "Cousin It" hand squirming in the middle of the candy. She played spooky music, cackled loudly and scared poor little defenseless kids by saying in a scary old witch voice, "Come here my pretties....aaaaahhhhhhaaaaaaa!!!!!" Her performance was so spectacular that people used to drive to our house from around our county, so that my mom could scare the bejeezies out of their kids. Let's just say that I can only now appreciate my mother's Halloween ritual.

Because I love Halloween and it's spooky paranormal flavor I have a couple Halloween traditions. Of course I watch shows like "GhostHunters," "Most Haunted," etc., but my real Halloween tradition is watching the "Halloween" scary movie series. For some reason...Michael Myers (the main character in the Halloween movies) has always scared me to death. I think Michael's hollow eyes, his slow swagger and the movies creepy music are what scare me the most...well that along with the fact that HE CAN'T BE DESTROYED AND IS A KILLING MACHINE!!!!!!!

So, in honor of my spooky homeboy Michael Myers...I give you a little Halloween Michael Myers style treat.....booo-waha-haa!

3 comments:

catherine white said...

I love that you used the word "swagger" in describing the creepiness of Michael Myers. Never before in my life have I heard that word used with a negative connotation. In fact the only time recently I have heard that word used was on the show "From G's to Gents" which we all know is a classic trashy reality show on VH1 (right? Not MTV? I get the trashiness confused). Anywho...I am with you - I love Halloween! No Thanksgiving decorations can beat out Halloween...although I believe Christmas comes close and it has a much more positive connotation. But those are two polar opposite holidays, so there's no comparison. Ok, enough philosophical thoughts

Old said...

http://oldnumberseven.net/2008/11/jack/

Anonymous said...

When you were a little girl you would come back from Trick or Treating and cry, "Mom! You can hear you all over the neighborhood." Then you ran off to your room crying. I was distraught to think I had humiliated you among your friends...BUT NOW, tada....you got it! I loves Halloweeeennnn.....