Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What the f*&%???

The past couple weeks have been full of "what the" moments; therefore, I GOT SOMETHING TO SAY about a couple of them!!!!!!

First, this was the look on my face last Thursday after reading an email sent by NARAL Pro-Choice America's President Nancy Keenan (President Douche Bag as I'm now calling her), stating that NARAL was proud to officially declare an endorsement for Senator Barak Obama.

My angry face was not because NARAL was endorsing Obama (because between McCain & Obama...Obama is the reproductive rights candidate) my angry face was because of the convenient timing of their endorsement. For NARAL to abandon a candidate who has supported reproductive rights publicly, personally and politically her entire 30+ career, for a candidate who has semi-supported reproductive rights for the past 4 years...ludicrous!!!! Why would NARAL risk losing huge organizational supporters...for a 2 month early endorsement?
I would have felt so much better if NARAL had the balls to be honest and include the promises in their email that the Obama campaign made if NARAL endorsed him at this time. One of Nancy Keenan's responses to the backlash of the endorsement was that Obama's huge following would hopefully open up doors for national support of reproductive rights. REALLY? Wow, I've never heard of people switching their stance on reproductive rights (i.e. ABORTION) because their presidential nominee says, "I support it." UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

I have supported and rallied with NARAL for the past 15 years, and even though I have not always agreed with the methods at which they fight, legislate and advocate for women's reproductive rights...I have consistently maintained my support because I believed the cause of reproductive rights outweighed my personal opinions of how things should be done. Therefore, after reading this email, falling off my chair, and administering oxygen to myself while curled up in a fetal position in the corner...I picked myself up, pulled myself together and sadly sent an email to NARAL withdrawing my vocal and financial support. I hope NARAL finds this early unnecessary endorsement to be in their favor, and all their newly acquired members are as allegiant and supportive as the members that they have recently lost.

Moving on to the second atrocity--For the past 6 years R. Kelly (aka Robert Kelly, R&B musician) has been allowed to pull manipulative legal tactic after manipulative legal tactic to avoid having his day in court for allegedly producing child pornographic material and having sex acts with a 13 year old child. R. Kelly denies he is the man in the video, and unfortunately, as with most cases that are postponed for long periods of time, the victim, who in this case is now 22, is now denying she is the girl in the video--looks like his tactics worked. This will be an interesting case to follow...especially since his celebrity status allegedly puts him at the same level as God--for the record...this crazy cat, R. Kelly, even got caught bribing a witness in this case and his punishment was no jail time or probation--is that legal? One of his supporters stated, "He's R. Kelly...I mean he can get anyone he wants...he don't need to rape anyone...these young girls throw themselves at him...they the ones that should be on trial." What the? Oh Ma Ga!!!

When interviewed, 6 years ago, about this allegation along with 3 separate other allegations of inappropriate sexual acts with 13 year old girls...R. Kelly's response was that he often finds himself in predicaments like this, because he can't "card" all the girls that are always "comin' onto" him. Silly me...but you'd think after the first allegation one might be a little more cautious...at least making sure all your victims aren't all 13 years old...I seriously think he thinks no one will catch onto the pattern.

1 comment:

TR Amrine said...

methinks it's time for you to get on the obama-express like your pals at NARAL.

i keed, i keed.